Feature Requests: 1) Support Unity/ISIS, 2) Ref track option

Discussion forum for PluralEyes for Media Composer
Forum rules
As part of the transition of Singular Software's products to Red Giant, the forums on this site have been closed to further postings. To continue to have a place to go for user-to-user discussions about PluralEyes, DualEyes and Presto please visit the Red Giant forums at:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/company/forums/

For technical support, please visit the Red Giant technical support site:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/support/

Thanks for your participation here, and we look forward to continuing the discussion in other venues.

Feature Requests: 1) Support Unity/ISIS, 2) Ref track option

Postby transtatic on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm loving PluralEyes, it's been saving me a lot of headaches, and in the interest of continuing its improvement there are 2 features I feel would drastically improve the program (in my humble opinion):

1) Support MXF files from Avid Unity & ISIS
-Its frustrating to have to consolidate every clip to an external hard-drive before running PluralEyes. In fact, sometimes its not practical or even possible. Adding this feature would be a HUGE sell to a lot of post facilities.

2) Allow an option of 'Reference track(s)' or the ability to 'lock' tracks in place
-Usually when I'm syncing anything I almost always have at least one track that I use as my 'reference track', a track that does NOT move on the timeline. It would be AWESOME to have the option to keep that track in place and have everything sync to it, rather then every clip from the day move to new auxiliary timecode positions. The reason this is helpful is because we receive tape-logs & field-notes that correspond to actual timecode, and after I sync anything those tape-logs & field-notes become almost useless. Also, sometimes we'll use up to 15 cameras, and we'll jam-sync the first 3 of them along with ext audio, and I'll need to sync the rest to them. PluralEyes will usually keep the first 3 in sync but it will move them around on the timeline as it sees fit...very frustrating.

Anyways, I love the program and I'm so excited it's finally here for Media Composer. Can't wait for all the bugs to be worked out and the features to be enhanced. Cheers.
transtatic

Re: Feature Requests: 1) Support Unity/ISIS, 2) Ref track option

Postby KitchenSync on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:48 am

transtatic wrote:I'm loving PluralEyes, it's been saving me a lot of headaches, and in the interest of continuing its improvement there are 2 features I feel would drastically improve the program (in my humble opinion):

2) Allow an option of 'Reference track(s)' or the ability to 'lock' tracks in place
-Usually when I'm syncing anything I almost always have at least one track that I use as my 'reference track', a track that does NOT move on the timeline. It would be AWESOME to have the option to keep that track in place and have everything sync to it, rather then every clip from the day move to new auxiliary timecode positions. The reason this is helpful is because we receive tape-logs & field-notes that correspond to actual timecode, and after I sync anything those tape-logs & field-notes become almost useless. Also, sometimes we'll use up to 15 cameras, and we'll jam-sync the first 3 of them along with ext audio, and I'll need to sync the rest to them. PluralEyes will usually keep the first 3 in sync but it will move them around on the timeline as it sees fit...very frustrating.

This is EXACTLY why I registered tonight-- I had the very same suggestion in mind after using PE on Avid this week in a real-world situation. For example: I had one track of time of day time-coded clips which I synced previously using AutoSequence (the feature that matches your Source clips' timecode to your Sequence time code, putting exact durations of Filler between clips on your sequence). I take that sequence, duplicate it and then ADD my non-time-of-day (i.e. Wild TC) DSLR clips at the end of the timeline on V2 and A5-A8. Then this sequence will get exported as AAF for treatment in PE.

As the man said, after importing PE's "synced" AAF file into Avid, it would be G R E A T to find that the DSLR clips now match the V1 clips without having changed any of the V1 clips' positions.

A feature like this would permit us to very easily stitch together various synced PE sequences on the Avid timeline very easily as new footage is delivered into the editing room over a period of days/weeks.

Thanks for looking into this-- and thanks for your fine work.
KitchenSync

Postby admin on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Both items are on the wish list for a future update.

Bruce
admin
Site Admin

Postby steveOhollywood on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:25 pm

I have to agree 101% with Transtatic
From the point of view of a busy Broadcast facility - I have to say that these two items would need to be implemented before Plural Eyes will of much use to us.

Moving Terabytes of data is not a solution.
Nor is a sequence where I can't lock my A camera.

Does anyone know if these features / fixes are actual aims for Singular software - or if there is a competitor app which does something similar today?

Thanks,
STEVE...

25 x Avid Media Composer 4.05
Avid Unity ISIS
steveOhollywood

Return to Media Composer